Friday, February 4, 2011

Bonus 7" - bonnie prince billy sings 'black dissimulation' and 'no such as what i want'



Both of these songs are great, and I rank "No Such as What I Want" as one of my all time Oldham faves. Released a year before Get On Jolly, Mick Turner is featured in the track, alongside Brother Jim White on drums, Colin Gagon on accordian, David Grubbs on electric piano and Tiffany White-Pounder on vocals. I tagged it on to the end of a cassette of a Silver Jews album and wore it out driving around Austin and its outskirts as a courier in the late 90s. It's a great driving song. I've probably heard the song well over a hundred times and still get a thrill from it. Great vocal performance by Will and Pounders-White, great drums, sweet sounding accordian, beautiful guitar and intermittently scrutable, fun to sing along with lyrics. The song has some of the feel of the Jolly recordings, but more robust. So good.

Black

No comments:

Post a Comment