Thursday, August 29, 2013

Grimes says...

In the latest issue of Vogue Claire Boucher is quoted as saying "I don't keep up with the Internet. Everything that is Grimes is the product of my brain."

Kind of amazing to me, though I know it shouldn't be, that the person who maintains this, this and this says she doesn't keep up with the Internet. What an odd phrase, anyway, "keeping up with the Internet." Obviously Tweeting and posting blog entries and links (and, er, Link) on a near daily basis doesn't qualify as keeping up.

As far as the "product" of Grimes goes, and this has to include not just music but fashion, none of what she does could possibly exist without the Internet.

This shouldn't be taken as a criticism at all. I like Grimes and I'm curious to see watch her inevitably evolution into a bigger pop star. Just thought it was peculiar that someone her age who so obviously owes much of her aesthetic and popularity to the Internet doesn't see herself as keeping up with it. What would that entail, then, and what hope for the casual online visitor?

No comments:

Post a Comment